The plant is located on the Pesocani River in the Pesocani village, near to the Ohrid town, FYR Macedonia. The plant was built in 1951 and it is a part of distribution branch in the Ohrid town. The HPP Pesocani is a derivation type plant with a small dam and a side intake facility, 7 km long derivation channel, water chamber, 900 m long penstock and powerhouse.
The rehabilitation covered mainly installation of 4 new Pelton turbines (2 turbines per 1 generator), powerhouse substructure civil modifications, supply of new hydraulic governors, generators overhaul, new cubicle type substations 6 kV and 35 kV, complete automation of the units, substations 6 kV and 35 kV, and 10 kV distribution substation.
After the rehabilitation, the maximum power output of the power plant was increased from approximately 2.6 MW to 3.6 MW with expected annual generation increase from 10300 to 12200 MWh.
Hydropol provided all engineering and management services necessary for the project, including main and detail design, contracting, supervision and project management, and commissioning.